Juneteenth Essay Guidelines
JENNINGS JUNETEENTH ESSAY CONTEST
Please adhere to the guidelines and criteria listed The Following information must be clearly defined on the TITLE PAGE
(First page when ENTRY is opened):
- SCHOOL NAME
- PRINCIPAL NAME- Full Name
- TEACHER NAME – Full Name
- ESSAY TITLE
- GRADE LEVEL
- YEAR SUBMITTED
- FULL NAME OF STUDENT
If these items are not clear, points will be deducted from the total points awarded.
- The applicant must:
- Be a Jennings resident.
- Be a 6th, 7th, 8th grade student.
- Submit an essay adhering to the guidelines of the Essay Contest;
- Use the designated topic.
- Application Procedure
- Submit the completed essay to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Friday, June 11, 2021, 11:59 pm
- Essay Guidelines
- A 600 to 1,000 word essay on the designated topic
- Use 8.5 x 11 inch paper
- (Cover Page – Title Page – For identification purposes – Not Part of Essay)
START OF ESSAY
- Triple space between the title and the first line of copy
- Use a five (5) space paragraph indentation
- Double space the copy
- There should be a one (1) inch margin at the top, sides and bottom of each page
- Provide a bibliography to document your research sources.
- Judging – A panel of impartial judges will judge all essays; Essays will be judged on:
- Adherence to title
- Points will be deducted if the essay is not within the 600 -1000 word range.
- Adherence to Topic 20 Points
- Neatness 10 Points
- Spelling 10 Points
- Punctuation 20 Points
- Originality 20 Points
- Organization 20 Points
TOTAL MAXIMUM POINTS 100 Points
Deadline for Receipt: Friday, June 11, 2021@ 11:59 pm
There will be one 1st place winner per grade level. Contest winners will be announced at 6:30 pm prior to the scheduled concert time of 7 pm on Friday, June 18, 2021, at Lloyd’s Pavilion located in Koeneman Park.
For more information please call 314-388-3040